Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Get a Job...

Well, that's what I'm trying to do. I've not posted much here about my job search, or for that matter why I'm even needing a new job. I think I'll continue my self-imposed silence on the situation at GCR.

But as far as jobs are concerned, thus far I have been approaching the search with the thought that I am open to whatever is out there and that God will lead me to the right position. I have even caught myself thinking "just get a job that pays. You can pursue your passion on your off-time." I am beginning to rethink that.

This morning a new acquaintance recommended a book to me. Maybe you've heard of 48 Days to the Work You Love. It is highly recommended by Dave Ramsey (although he is not the new acquaintance I mentioned). The book was released this year (2007) and is written by Dan Miller. I have only read the introduction and first chapter and it's really gotten me to thinking already.

Here is a quote from the first chapter... "Perhaps we can create a definition of work that includes more than just completing duties for a paycheck. What if we were able to create a model for work that included work, play, leisure, and spiritual components? Would it be unreasonable to expect to find fulfilling, enjoyable, spiritually significant, income producing work?" According to Miller, the obvious answer is a resounding "no, it's not unreasonable!"

I truly believe I was in this situation when I worked for Acappella Ministries. I felt the same at Christ Family Fellowship in Corpus Christi. I believe I would have come to feel this at Golf Course Road, given time. And now, I need to pray and believe that it can happen again here in Midland. I certainly do not want to settle for a "job."

Lord, give me the faith and patience to see what you've laid before me. Or at least to make the best out of the situation if I pick the wrong thing. Is that a contradiction in faith? *sigh*

No comments: